Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Detailing our 1st Day etc...

I wanted to clear up some of the details upon or arrival in Haiti. We arrived at the PAP airport and paid a "taxi" driver to take us to the Visa Lodge where I had made reservations online from home before we left. When the "taxi" driver finished unloading our luggage, I made my way upstairs to the front desk, where I learned that there were no reservations and "no room in the inn". Of course by this time our "taxi" driver had already left. The front desk called another "taxi" for us, which arrived about 20 minutes later. The kids were some what passified when the Hotel security guards which were in fatigues and fully armed began to talk to us, I use the phrase "some what" very liberaly as we were all trying to adjust to the heat and humidity. We then decided to go to the orphanage first to see the kids and ask there for a second opinion on lodging. Finding the orphanage was somewhat of a challenge for our "taxi" driver as street signs are scarce to nonexistant. We arrived none the less and being at the Orphanage was great. The kids had so much fun and all were excited to get reacquainted with their siblings, there we were told that El Rancho would be a good comparible option. (for you Lyndenites it's not El Ranchito) We went to El Rancho and found out that a room with 2 beds was $170/night! not really an option for us. Exasperated I asked our driver to take us to the Auberge du' Quebec in Carrefour a "Suburb" of Port-au-Prince near the orphanage where we first started. The driver charged us an absurd price of $100. (4.5 years ago I paid $20 for almost the same route) Needless to say we were happy to be all together for the 1st time and settled into our room.

Some fun hang time with the Grace Case Bunch. I also wanted to let you know that you an drop me an e-mail if the comment thing is a little to public for ya.


No comments: